Eddies Open England Tour With Win Over Wigan Athletic Side

Fisk, Straith on target in tour-opening win in Manchester
FC Edmonton Staff | Mar 15, 2017

Arriving at its international destination took longer than anticipated, but FC Edmonton opened its Manchester preseason tour on a positive note against Wigan Athletic FC Reserves on Saturday thanks to goals from Canadian internationals Adam Straith and Ben Fisk.

The 2-0 victory follows a busy day of travel for the club after spending over 24 hours in transit to Manchester, where the club will stay and train over the next 11 days.

“We travelled for a long time – over 24 hours – to get here,” Miller said. “When you put all the travel difficulties on the table and then look at the performance we saw from the players [on Saturday], I think we have to be pleased with it. It’s still a work in progress, but we can see certain aspects of the basic principles that we’ve put across to the players the previous three weeks of training beginning to come out on the pitch.”

Wigan Match Breakdown

FC Edmonton struggled to control the ball on the soggy pitch for the first 20 minutes of the match. The highlight of the first half came when goalkeeper Tyson Farago was called upon to make a great double save when the Winnipeg, M.B. native pushed a shot from the Wigan number-10 at the top of the 18-yard-box off the far woodwork before making another save at close range on the rebound. 

An almost entirely new FC Edmonton side started the Eddies off on the front foot in the second half. Soon after the restart they had the opening goal when midfielder Dustin Corea’s delivery off a corner grazed past an FC Edmonton player in the box before falling to defender Adam Straith, who left the keeper little time to react after making a quick turn and placing the ball in the left side of the net.

FC Edmonton padded on the offensive pressure after taking the lead as Wigan tried to find its footing. The Eddies found their consolation when another Canadian international in Ben Fisk found the back of the net for the 2-0 lead after taking a clean touch to shake off a defender and earn himself the space at the top of the box. The Vancouver, B.C. product struck his shot well with his right foot and curled the ball into the far corner to seal the victory for the Eddies.

Our Terms and Conditions of Use have changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use. Agree and Dismiss
Our Privacy Policy has changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Privacy Policy. Agree and Dismiss