RECAP | Scorpions 3, RailHawks 3

Both sides pick up a point in a wild, back-and-forth affair in San Antonio
Carolina RailHawks Staff | Sep 9, 2015

The Carolina RailHawks earned a 3-3 draw against the San Antonio Scorpions in a hard-fought match on Wednesday night at Toyota Field. The draw gives the RailHawks another valuable point towards their postseason push.

After early offensive pressure, the RailHawks seized a 1-0 lead as Nacho Novo netted his eighth goal of the season in the 21st minute. Scorpions defender Adrian Cann received a red card for taking down Novo just as he prepared to unleash a shot in the box. Novo’s penalty attempt was blocked, but he followed the rebound and tucked away his second opportunity to put the RailHawks ahead early. 

The RailHawks continued to control possession and Shipalane gave the team a 2-0 lead with a rocket strike from the edge of the box in the 25th minute. The Scorpions quickly responded with a goal of their own three minutes later as Marvin Chávez buried a deflected San Antonio shot.

The Scorpions entered the second half fired up and immediately earned a penalty kick, but Akira Fitzgerald stifled the shot to save the RailHawks’ lead. The Scorpions continued to dominate possession, though, and evened the match off a penalty kick in the 56th minute through Rafael Castillo. RailHawks captain Connor Tobin received his second yellow card of the match for a handball in the box.

The Scorpions’ continuous pressure allowed Chávez to break through the defense and bury a superb goal from the top of the box, giving the Scorpions a 3-2 lead in the 65th minute. End-to-end action continued until Nana Attakora’s own goal when the Scorpions defender tapped in a cross from Shipalane in the 77th minute to even the score at 3-3, where it would remain.

Our Terms and Conditions of Use have changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use. Agree and Dismiss
Our Privacy Policy has changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Privacy Policy. Agree and Dismiss