RECAP | Fury FC 4, Indy 1

Ottawa erupts on the attacking end for a second time against Indy Eleven
Indy Eleven Staff | Aug 8, 2015

Ottawa Fury FC made it a clean sweep of its “Class of 2014” brethren Indy Eleven in their 2015 series tonight, using a pair of goals by Andrew Wiedeman early in the second half – including the game-winner in the 54th minute – to post a 4-1 win in front of 9,866 fans at IUPUI’s Carroll Stadium.

With its third win in as many meetings over Indy Eleven in 2015, the Fall Season-leading Fury FC pushed its unbeaten streak to 12 games and reclaimed the top spot in the Combined Standings ahead of New York. Meanwhile, Indy Eleven saw its winless streak reach a season-high four games after a fruitless three-day, eight-game stretch.

A fairly open start to the match became even more so in the ninth minute, when Sinisa Ubiparipovic opened the scoring for Ottawa. The play began with Fury FC forward Tom Heinemann collecting a turnover near midfield and racing past the Indy Eleven back line before cutting back for Ubiparipovic, who made no mistake with a tidy finish into the right netting.

Indy Eleven had a great chance to equalize in the 17th minute, when a quick counter up the middle of the field through Marvin Ceballos and Daniel Keller sprang Brian Brown behind the Ottawa defense, but the Jamaican striker put his chance into the outside netting. Indy would control the bulk of the possession through the final half hour of the first half, but no full chances would come from it, allowing Ottawa to carry its 1-0 lead into the break.

Just as they did in the first half, Fury FC would move the scoreboard nine minutes into the second stanza when Andrew Wiedeman collected Ryan Richter’s cross from the right flank and finished to the far left post on a near angle, doubling the visitor’s advantage.

Right on the hour mark Indy Eleven showed signs of life in attack with its first goal in over six halves of play.  Substitute forward Duke Lacroix turned up route one and finished a 40-yard run with a low shot past Fury FC goalkeeper Romulad Peiser and into the right side of goal to cut the advantage in half at 2-1.

However, Ottawa would answer right back ruthlessly with a pair in quick succession, first in the 62nd minute when Mauro Eustaquio received Heinemann’s square ball with space 10 yards from goal and finished low inside the right post, bringing the score to 3-1.  Just two minutes later Wiedeman would do all the work himself for Ottawa’s fourth, shouldering off an Indy defender 35 yards from goal and carrying inside the area uncontested before slotting low and to the right of a stranded Nicht. Ottawa would effectively and efficiently kill off the final half hour of play to take the air out of Carroll Stadium and continue its red-hot form, moving to 6W-1D-0L on the Fall Season.

Our Terms and Conditions of Use have changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use. Agree and Dismiss
Our Privacy Policy has changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Privacy Policy. Agree and Dismiss