RECAP | Fury FC 2, Silverbacks 1

Richie Ryan's winner from the penalty spot extends Ottawa's unbeaten run
Atlanta Silverbacks Staff | Jul 22, 2015

The Atlanta Silverbacks fell, 2-1, to Ottawa Fury FC on Wednesday Night Soccer on ONE World Sports at TD Place, as Ottawa Fury FC extended their unbeaten streak to nine matches.

It was a slow start for Ottawa and Atlanta as both took the first 20 minutes to feel each other out. Both applied light pressure, giving the other ample time to move the ball within the midfield.

It didn’t take long for the Silverbacks to get started early on. Newly acquired forward Pedro Mendes made a run along the left side in the eighth minute, playing the ball to the middle of the 18-yard box. The ensuing shot from Michael Reed went wide.

Steward Ceus — back for his first club action since returning from Haiti's quarterfinal run in the CONCACAF Gold Cup — had his first test of the match after a side volley from Oliver Minatel almost found the corner of the net. Ceus dove, but saw the ball go just wide.

The teams entered the break scoreless. Atlanta showed promising signs in the first half, possessing the ball with a greater sense of purpose than in previous games. Ottawa, on the other hand, was spread out, often unable to connect in the final third.

Ottawa scored the first goal in the 56th minute. First-time starter Mohammed Issahaku was tripped on the play, leaving Fury FC winger Carl Haworth plenty of space. Haworth made a sharp turn around Paul Black, and slammed the ball into the net.

Atlanta got its revenge six minutes later. Black’s maneuvering into the box was abruptly halted by a couple of Ottawa defenders, resulting in a penalty kick for the Silverbacks. Junior Burgos picked the left side and leveled the match.

Fury FC almost knocked in their second of the night in the 70th minute, but Ceus snagged it from under the boot of Hassan.

Hassan’s substitution brought a vast change in the Ottawa attack with an induction of speed. His footwork inside the 18-yard box led to a penalty call for Fury FC. Ceus guessed correctly on Ottawa captain’s Ritchie Ryan’s spot kick, but the ball was too quick, as Ottawa grabbed the lead back in the 73rd minute. 

Atlanta got one last chance in extra time after a Black free kick into the box. The following header went right into Peiser’s chest. Ottawa bunkered down and held a tight defense, holding on for the 2-1 win.

Our Terms and Conditions of Use have changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use. Agree and Dismiss
Our Privacy Policy has changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Privacy Policy. Agree and Dismiss