RECAP | United 1, Fury FC 1

A late goal from the penalty spot from Tom Heinemann earned Ottawa a draw with Minnesota
Minnesota United Staff | Jul 11, 2015

Minnesota took a first half lead thanks to a strike from forward Christian Ramirez, but had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Ottawa Fury FC after a second-half penalty kick.

"It's tough to play well and not be able to see games out," United head coach Manny Lagos said. "I see a lot of stuff tonight than we can build on to get better this season."

United came out with a very aggressive lineup and attacking play, and dominated the possession and the chances early on. After having an early goal disallowed, Minnesota ended Ottawa's North American Soccer League record shutout streak in the 32nd minute. Tiago Calvano played a perfect ball with the outside of his foot to Christian Ramirez in the Ottawa penalty area. Ramirez took the ball on the bounce and volleyed the ball past Ottawa goalkeeper Romuald Peiser to end the shutout streak at 648 minutes.

Injuries plagued Ottawa all evening, with three players hurt during the match. Fury FC lost Sinisa Ubiparipovic in the first half after a collision, forcing an early substitution. Peiser almost needed to be relieved after his hand was stepped on in a scrum. Oliver's injury was one of the most severe – minutes after coming into the match, he caught a boot to the face from Ramirez, as both were trying to win a ball in the penalty area. The foul earned Fury FC a penalty kick. Tom Heinemann stepped up and slotted home the tying goal for his side.

Minnesota tried to come away with all three points with a late offensive flurry, including a Pablo Campos header that was saved off the line by Peiser, but was unable to reclaim the lead, settling for a draw with Ottawa.

Our Terms and Conditions of Use have changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use. Agree and Dismiss
Our Privacy Policy has changed. By using this Site, you agree to the Privacy Policy. Agree and Dismiss