Tampa Bay Rowdies 1 FC Edmonton 1

The Tampa Bay Rowdies and the visiting FC Edmonton shared the points after a 1-1 draw on a dramatic opening night of the 2014 NASL Spring Season at Al Lang Stadium in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Saturday.

The crowd of 7,003 saw the Rowdies pulled ahead in the 32nd minute on an own goal by Edmonton defender Kareem Moses. Tampa Bay midfielder Darel Russell floated a dangerous ball into the Edmonton box and Moses, under pressure, deflected the ball into his own net.

FC Edmonton looked beaten until a late equalizer created by Daryl Fordyce. Fordyce raced down the right wing and looped in a perfect cross to second-half substitute Tomi Ameobi, who headed home to level the match in the 88th minute.

“The players were magnificent in the second half and minimum for us we deserve in this game was a draw,” said Edmonton coach, Colin Miller.  “I thought we were the better team tonight and it was a great atmosphere here for this home opener and I am so proud of my players tonight.”

It was a choppy start to the match, with neither team really settling in to the first match of the 2014 season. FC Edmonton had the better of the early chances, with the first shot of the match coming in the 8th minute. New Rowdies goalkeeper Matt Pickens was there for an easy catch and the danger was averted.

Edmonton had another strong scoring chance with a two-on-one in the 28th minute, but Horace James’ pass across the face of goal was behind its target and cleared by the defense.
With the Rowdies up 1-0 at halftime, FC Edmonton came out the stronger side after the break. The match nearly turned when Pickens was adjudged to have committed a foul on Eddies forward Frank Jonke in the 54th minute and Edmonton was awarded a penalty kick.

Pickens stood strong on the kick, diving right to save Neil Hlavaty’s effort and preserving the Rowdies’ lead.

The final five minutes were played end-to-end with the Rowdies piling on pressure in their search of a match-winner and Edmonton replying on fast breaks. Neither team could find the goal and nab all three points before the full-time whistle.

“I felt that we worked hard and dug in,” said Rowdies coach Ricky Hill. “The second half opened a little bit more and I felt that half was a lot better. We managed to string a few passes together and make a few moves. We still have to be  a little bit braver collectively in terms of keeping possession of the ball.”